Coin Show Chronicles: PNG, New York



Let me start off by apologizing for how late this is — I’m flattered by all the emails asking where my report is!  After the show my sister came out to join me for a mini sisters-vacation, which meant that I was in one of my favorite places in the world for nine lovely days.

I’m going to let the pictures do most of the talking for this edition of the Coin Show Chronicles: PNG, New York.  Enjoy!


We came in on Tuesday, a day early (as it turns out) on the adjusted schedule.  The show was at the Millennium Broadway Hotel, in the Theater District and only half a block from the heart of Times Square.   Traveling to the east coast from Los Angeles is essentially an all day event thanks to the five-and-a-half hour flight and three hour time difference.  Once we checked out the hotel and had a bite to eat, we just crashed for the night with plans of sight-seeing on our free Wednesday.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.


After a quick breakfast, we hopped into a cab on Wednesday morning to head down to Battery Park, as far south as one can go in Manhattan.  We left it up to the driver to decide exactly where to drop us off, and ended up stepping out right next to “Castle Clinton”.

As you walk through the historic building and out the other side to the edge of the water, the Statue of Liberty appears on the horizon.  Though I’ve been to Manhattan before, I’d never seen Miss Liberty and was surprised by how much she affected me.


We wandered around Battery Park, finding other treasures as we went.


Eventually we angled ourselves to head toward what we had come to see, the 9/11 Memorial.  Absolutely nothing I can say here would do any justice to the site, the memorial, the solemn respect … I’m not even going to try.  All I can say is that I felt like I was on the verge of tears for the entire time we were there.


There were many white roses in the names of victims, but Robert Alan Zampieri grabbed me.  I stood here for a long time looking at his name and the rose, wondering who he was, knowing that his family still came to grieve for him.

I found some information about him, and I’d like to share it to remember one man and his life, and to remind us that there are thousands of others whose stories we’ll never hear.

Robert Alan Zampieri: Article One, Article Two


We continued on from the memorial, and paused in Liberty Park to recover before we made our way over to Wall Street itself.

Much of what’s left of Wall Street it is closed down, or barricaded off with permanent fencing, but it was still chock full of history and unbelievable architecture.

It was getting on towards late afternoon, so we decided to start walking north.  We walked some two miles right up Broadway until we bumped into one of Shelley’s favorite restaurants, Balthazar.  After the meal we grabbed a cab and headed back to the hotel.  We relaxed for a little bit before it was time to head out once again to our show, Once.

After the show we had a late night dessert at Junior’s, and I had my first piece of real New York cheesecake in many years.  We had packed a lot into our one free day, and we went to bed that night tired but happy.

Thursday.  “Finally, time for the coins!!”  you must be saying by now.   I’m sorry to say I didn’t end up recording much in my Bullet Points, and I don’t have anything particularly humorous to share.

It was a fairly average show, perhaps a bit on the slow side which is probably to be expected for a first time event.  My first thought upon walking onto the floor was This must be what shows looked like back in the “glory days”, a thought echoed by just about every dealer who stopped by the table.

The room was on the eighth floor and was something of an odd shape, with architectural details and columns here and there that broke up the space so that you were unable to see from on end to the other unobstructed.  The auctions were held on the floor below, and despite my best efforts to break away and check out the lots I couldn’t find the time to make it happen.

Thursday and Friday morning were almost completely uneventful in terms of numismatics, but I did get to meet up with several friends as well as a dozen or so interesting collectors who were incredibly knowledgeable in their chosen areas (and picked up a few tips!); I took several Want Lists, and met two people that I’ve only known through email until now.

Friday afternoon kicked into a different gear, and suddenly there was a lot going on.  We sold quite a few coins (including a few big boys I wish I could share), and bought several lots of really nice coins that just materialized out of no where.  All in all Friday was a great day.

Saturday morning came with a flurry of activity as people were making their last trades of the show.  While it drizzled outside, we wrapped up loose ends and eventually had to pack up.  We had to leave this show earlier than most because of the loooong flight home, starting the process at one o’clock and losing the rest of the day.

The show was smaller than I had originally expected, but that doesn’t mean that there weren’t spectacular coins on the floor.  We ended up having a great show after a slow start Thursday, and from what I heard everyone else did as well.

Overall, it was a small show but packed with premium coins in a fantastic location.  With luck, the PNG will turn New York into a coin show hot spot!



Our inventory from the show.  If you’d like to see a particular coin close up, leave a message in the comments below or email me.

One comment


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s